Getting Started Guide
Online Learning Center - Getting Started Guide
How do I log into the Online Learning Center?
At the top right of the Online Learning Center (OLC) homepage at http://onlinelearning.fpmt.org there is a login box, which is used to log into the site or to create a new account for first time users.
New Users: If you do not have an Online Learning Center account, you will need to create a new account by clicking on Create new account. When you create a new account, you will be asked to choose a username and password which you will use for all future logins.
New Account Confirmation: After you create a new account, you will receive a confirmation email containing a link to click to confirm the account.
Users with Existing Accounts: If you have an existing Online Learning Center account, you should enter your username (or email) and password and click Log in. If you have forgotten your password, you can reset your password by clicking on Lost Password?
How do I access the courses within the Online Learning Center?
After logged into the OLC, you need to enrol in all the individual courses that you wish to access. To do this, please select the course you wish to enrol in and then enter the enrolment key for that course.
What is an Enrolment Key and how do I get one?
Most of the online courses require an enrolment key which needs to be entered the first time a course is accessed.
Free Courses: There are a number of free courses available and the enrolment keys for these are::
Discovering Buddhism Courses
- Discovering Buddhism Module 2 (How to meditate): Enrolment key = calmabiding07
- Discovering Buddhism Module 14: No enrolment key
Living in the Path Modules
- Taking the Essence Modules
- The Method to Transform a Suffering Life into Happiness: No enrolment key
- Bodhichitta Mindfulness: No enrolment key
- Taking the Eight Mahayana Precepts: No enrolment key
- Making Offerings: No enrolment key
- Offering Food and Drink: No enrolment key
- Practice Instructions Modules
- The Refuge and Bodhichitta Verse: No enrolment key
- Seven-Limb Prayer: No enrolment key
- Realizing the Lam-rim Modules
- All Topics: Advice for Realizing the Lam-rim: No enrolment key
- All Topics: Atisha's Light of the Path to Enlightenment: No enrolment key
- Death: Cutting the Concept of Permanence: No enrolment key
- Death: This is Going to Happen to You: No enrolment key
- Nature of Samsara: Abandon Stretching the Legs: No enrolment key
- Emptiness: Smashing the Delusions: No enrolment key
- Commentary on Lama Tsongkhapa Guru Yoga: Enrolment key = migtsema21
- Bodhicaryavatara commentary: Enrolment key = compassion
- Shine Retreat - Ven Choden Rinpoche and Ven Rene Feusi: No enrolment key
Online Courses in French
- Découverte du bouddhisme Modules: All the French Discovering Buddhism courses are offered on a donation basis and have no enrolment keys.
Online Courses in Spanish
- Vivir el camino-VC Módulo 01, La motivación para vivir: Enrolment key = motivacion03
- Vivir el camino-VC Módulo 05, Introducción al texto de Atisha: No enrolment key
- Vivir el camino- VC Instrucción 01 - Meditación en el Sutra del diamante: No enrolment key
What are the Light of the Path Video Teachings?
On the home page of the Online Learning Center you will see a link for the Light of the Path Video Teachings. Clicking here will bring you to online videos from Lama Zopa Rinpoche's Light of the Path retreat teachings for 2009, 2010, 2014 and 2016. There is no password needed and you do not need an account to access this page. The 2010 Light of the Path teachings also include streaming videos of a 2 day lamrim retreat led by western teachers.
Rinpoche Available Now: Lama Zopa Rinpoche gives teachings throughout the year at FPMT centers around the world. Many of these teachings are livestreamed. These video and audio recordings together with other resources are available as part of our Rinpoche Available Now (RAN) project.
How do I edit my profile, set my email preferences and add a picture?
Once you have logged into the Online Learning Center, you can access your profile and preferences by clicking on the menu beside your profile name (which you can see at the top right of the screen).
Clicking on Preferences allows you to Edit your profile, Change your password or select your Forum preferences.
How do I navigate within a Course?
There are a number of ways to move around a course. The recommended method is to return to the homepage of a course to navigate the materials contained within the course. Then there are two useful navigation tools as follows:
Breadcrumbs: The breadcrumbs are a trail showing the pages you have passed through to get to your current location. They are shown in the top left corner of the page you are on and clicking on them will take you to that point in the course.
Navigation Menu: The navigation block appears on every page of the site. It contains an expanding tree menu which includes My Home, Site Pages, My Profile, and Courses. When in a course, this link expands to show each section of the current course and any activities/resources which are in that section.
What are the Technical Requirements for using the OLC?
Computer and Web Browser
To be able to access the on-line learning environment, it is necessary to have access to a PC or Mac computer, with a suitable web browser such as Internet Explorer, Netscape, Firefox, or Safari.
The free program Java is necessary to use the on-line learning site. If you do not already have it installed on your computer, you can download Java by clicking on the following link: http://www.java.com/en/
You will need to have a suitable media player and sound card in your computer in order to access the audio and video files. Most computers already have Windows Media Player installed and this is fine for both audio and video files, but other audio and video players are also suitable.
In order to read and print study material available as text files (mainly PDF files), it is necessary to have Adobe Reader on your computer. If this program is not already installed on your computer, you can download this free program by clicking on the following link: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
You will need to have Adobe Flash installed on your computer to play streaming videos. You can install Adobe Flash from the following website: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
It is possible to check which version of Flash you are using by opening the following website: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507
Thank you for your participation in the Online Learning Center.
If you would like to make a donation towards the development of online education, simply fill out the form below.